Red GT-E - Mecum Indy - May 2018

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
cobrasc427
Registered Member

Re: Red GT-E - Mecum Indy - May 2018

Post by cobrasc427 » 14 Aug 2018, 05:08

The above is all very interesting and technical, a little confusing, but aren't most therories/summations/conspiracies and conjunctures?

In a perfect world and if the Sun Spots that occurred after the 3rd full moon within a month, by passing the Blue Moon, causing extreme Solar Storms to interrupt the assembly lines at Ford, then apparently one might be able to produce a "second" vehicle with the appropriate date codes, to fool all of us interested parties, let's say, 40 years ago, when these vehicles weren't on anybody's radar as to their potential worth in 2018!

Let's get back to the REAL conspiracy theory, HOW many sets of these tail light grills were made? There is no way only one set was made, again, engineering paper work, design, costs, etc. etc.

WHO has the information? Who is hiding the pertinate (sp) facts? Who is keeping these grills in a private vault? Who is the mastermind behind the idea of one day flooding the market with these super rare grills, so he can retire on the French Reveraria (sp)

Enquiring Minds want to know

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 14 Aug 2018, 09:37

Great post Cobrasc427.. LOL! There are several things about the HF II Cougar that seem to be one offs.... The hood most notably.
What follows is just my opinion, yours may differ.

I also noticed that the two parts are not the same in size or finish so I doubt they were related. While we all think that Ford was buttoned down and kept great records, I think we are just being hopeful. I suspect that what we are seeing is was an owners attempt to customize his own car. At one point GT-Es were almost relegated to used car status. Especially if the engine was missing. And many Cobra Kit cars claimed GT-E running gear. And GT-Es tended to get raced hard and more than a few engines were blown up in the process. I suspect that in this case the owner liked the XR7 dash so he put one in. And he liked the XR7-G valance and fog lights so he added those. And then maybe he liked the HF II tail light bars and made a set of those.

I am intrigued by the tail light bars as it looks like all you would need to do to make them is to make the extrusion die, and then cut and finish the bars. However the many vertical cuts might be prohibitively expensive from a labor stand point. Anyway if they do get removed I would like to see how they attach to the stock grills. I suspect that they might have made holes through the plastic lens and if so that would never fly for a factory part.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell » 14 Aug 2018, 10:39

In a perfect world and if the Sun Spots that occurred after the 3rd full moon within a month, by passing the Blue Moon, causing extreme Solar Storms to interrupt the assembly lines at Ford, then apparently one might be able to produce a "second" vehicle with the appropriate date codes, to fool all of us interested parties, let's say, 40 years ago, when these vehicles weren't on anybody's radar as to their potential worth in 2018!

That was perfectly said! This car Sheetmetal date codes in my mind perfectly match (nothing is perfect) the build date and the mods were completed long ago and not very well done. But it is fun to take "authentication" to the next level. Jeff is one knowledgeable guy!

I will ask the owner if I can remove a tail light lens and look at it.

Rob

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 14 Aug 2018, 11:01

I think you have done excellent research in verifying the GT E. The next step I would do if I was the owner. Pay Jim Pinkerton and/or Jon Benoit expenses to come look at it and verify all your findings. If Jim concurs with your findings it's a done deal legit GT E.

The meaning of Post #13 sure has changed "Totally agree. $50k for Vin tags big money" or one heck of a deal for a really nice "real" GT E that's worth putting back stock :dance:
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

cobrasc427
Registered Member

Post by cobrasc427 » 14 Aug 2018, 12:04

That's my point, the cost to produce the grill would be prohibitive for a one off, IT HAD to be MASS produced!, As to me, it doesn't screw on, or bolt on, it's all on cast piece.

Just remember this old saying about "what if" What if birds had radios in their asses? ,,,, there'd be music in the air

Now, I don't remember the HF 2 hood scoop, anyone have a photo to post?

xr7g428 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 09:37
Great post Cobrasc427.. LOL! There are several things about the HF II Cougar that seem to be one offs.... The hood most notably.
What follows is just my opinion, yours may differ.

I also noticed that the two parts are not the same in size or finish so I doubt they were related. While we all think that Ford was buttoned down and kept great records, I think we are just being hopeful. I suspect that what we are seeing is was an owners attempt to customize his own car. At one point GT-Es were almost relegated to used car status. Especially if the engine was missing. And many Cobra Kit cars claimed GT-E running gear. And GT-Es tended to get raced hard and more than a few engines were blown up in the process. I suspect that in this case the owner liked the XR7 dash so he put one in. And he liked the XR7-G valance and fog lights so he added those. And then maybe he liked the HF II tail light bars and made a set of those.

I am intrigued by the tail light bars as it looks like all you would need to do to make them is to make the extrusion die, and then cut and finish the bars. However the many vertical cuts might be prohibitively expensive from a labor stand point. Anyway if they do get removed I would like to see how they attach to the stock grills. I suspect that they might have made holes through the plastic lens and if so that would never fly for a factory part.

ClawIt
Registered Member

Post by ClawIt » 14 Aug 2018, 12:34

Many Blue Moons ago when MU was first trying to sell the car ($90K) I had a lengthy discussion with the owner of MU. He said the rear bars had been added by a PO and thought they might offer them someday. But looks like they only repop'd the fronts.

The pictures of the HFII are from me, that I took at the 1980 Dearborn SAAC meet. I posted some hood pictures once on MC.net. I'll look for them again. The fiberglass hood is a winner, too bad AO Smith wanted big bucks to make it.

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell » 14 Aug 2018, 12:57

BossElim69 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 11:01
I think you have done excellent research in verifying the GT E. The next step I would do if I was the owner. Pay Jim Pinkerton and/or Jon Benoit expenses to come look at it and verify all your findings. If Jim concurs with your findings it's a done deal legit GT E.

The meaning of Post #13 sure has changed "Totally agree. $50k for Vin tags big money" or one heck of a deal for a really nice "real" GT E that's worth putting back stock :dance:

Jim is right across the water from us. He indicated that he will be at the Cougar Prowl in Tacoma this coming Sunday. Hope we can finally get to the bottom of this car.

Rob

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 14 Aug 2018, 16:03

BossElim69 wrote:

Brian I’m not try to be mean or ugly here but why does Jim and Jon have to verify the findings for it to be a “done deal legit GT-E”? Has Jim and Jon done this to every other GT-E as I asked earlier in this thread? Jim’s answer was no. It’s up to a potential buyer to verify and I think that has been covered by Rob with picture verification and date codes on this GT-E.

On a different note I think I’ve said this before possibly on a previous topic of this very GT-E that the “Mercury Cougar community” can sometimes be it’s own worst enemy. I mean this as no disrespect to anyone but when a new member or a potential buyer visit this site or another site or even Facebook they might get a negative vibe on personal feelings vs actual information on a particular Cougar. I think the registrars do an awesome job of keeping records but asking them to authenticate a Cougar seems to be a bit much, especially in the case of this real, date code correct GT-E. Just my opinion. :D

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 14 Aug 2018, 17:40

It sounds like this car is going to be at the Cascade Cougar Club Prowl show on Sunday August 19th at Griot's Garage at 3333 South 38th Street, Tacoma, WA 98409. Here's a link http://www.cascadecougarclub.com/Prowli ... linfo.html . If you are anywhere within 400 miles and you like Cougars, you should get to this event and check out the great collection of Cougars that will be on display there.
I am looking forward to getting my eyes all over this car when it is there. Both Jim Pinkerton and John Benoit will be there along with several other prominent members of the Cougar community, so there will be lots of Cougar experts to talk to, if you show up.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell » 14 Aug 2018, 18:27

1967 S Code wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 16:03
BossElim69 wrote:

Brian I’m not try to be mean or ugly here but why does Jim and Jon have to verify the findings for it to be a “done deal legit GT-E”? Has Jim and Jon done this to every other GT-E as I asked earlier in this thread? Jim’s answer was no. It’s up to a potential buyer to verify and I think that has been covered by Rob with picture verification and date codes on this GT-E.

On a different note I think I’ve said this before possibly on a previous topic of this very GT-E that the “Mercury Cougar community” can sometimes be it’s own worst enemy. I mean this as no disrespect to anyone but when a new member or a potential buyer visit this site or another site or even Facebook they might get a negative vibe on personal feelings vs actual information on a particular Cougar. I think the registrars do an awesome job of keeping records but asking them to authenticate a Cougar seems to be a bit much, especially in the case of this real, date code correct GT-E. Just my opinion. :D

Steven

No registrar can authenticate every car as Steven perfectly says. Steven says what I think the dilemma of all specialty car sites. The members of each site need to be careful when commenting on a cars pedigree. Comments can damage a cars pedigree and devalue a car. As a member of this site or any other specialty car site you assume the responsibility of being an authority of these cars. Be careful and say “to our knowledge” or other softer comments until conclusive information is provided.

Again, the people of this site are the experts and the registrar is doing a great job. Always remember that when you type a comment.

Rob