Red GT-E - Mecum Indy - May 2018

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
Cougar1
Registered Member

Re: Red GT-E - Mecum Indy - May 2018

Post by Cougar1 » 18 Aug 2018, 02:32

cobrasc427 -- Oops I finally saw where you asked about the former Henderson, NV 428 that was sold and is now in Ohio. I do not know the status of its restoration.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

cobrasc427
Registered Member

Post by cobrasc427 » 18 Aug 2018, 05:38

I understand your thinking, however I was referring to post # 104, and # 106, as to their opinion on the bars, that is why I had the idea to contact all owners, to see if "they" are living in their own little world, and not privy to this thread, going to the source, would hopefully solve the question. Not to be little your knowledge, but I would think it would be fair to say that even you don't know EVERYTHING there is to know on EVERY car.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 18 Aug 2018, 11:46

OK I'm going to make a thread suggestion after my post here in reference to this GT-E's taillight bars. I understand that there is always going to be opinions as to whether Ford made these bars, some other company or enthusiast. With that being said lets not muddy the waters on this GT-E any further it deserves that and accept the taillight bars for what they are, taillight bars. I mean no disrespect to anyone but I feel that the current owner has allowed an investigation and put forth some great information to prove that this Cougar is a true GT-E and not a re-body after being branded that way for years. I think we can all agree on this or at least I hope we can, that it's a great thing that another true GT-E has survived. The taillight bars are something that just adds to this special Cougar, no matter how they came to be. If this discussion continues and I believe it should, I feel that it should be done in a separate thread: XR7S Type Taillight Bars so it does not take anything away from this Cougar. I have started a thread and I will post all of the pictures and information that I have of the XR7S and XR7S inspired/style taillight bars. I will also post how I built mine as a DIY. Just my thoughts.

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

Cougar1
Registered Member

Post by Cougar1 » 18 Aug 2018, 19:24

cobrasc427 -- Well you are certainly correct I don't everything about the cars, that's for sure. Wish I did. One of the things I don't know is the current email address for every owner of record. I can poll those that I do know the address for, if I don't have a picture of the rear of their car which will answer the question first. If I find that anyone else has the bars on their taillights I'll post that.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

cobrasc427
Registered Member

Post by cobrasc427 » 18 Aug 2018, 21:14

Sounds like a solid plan Jim, who knows, perhaps we'll find the smoking gun, or nothing at all. It's a shame you don't have an updated email address for everyone, perhaps all out there, should send in their info, so the registra is up to date.

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell » 19 Aug 2018, 10:21

All,
They are not castings. To me someone found a nice piece of extruded aluminum that worked. They cut the slots, attached them to the grills, and then glued the red reflective bars on them. If we can source the extrusion and the light bars, I think the owner would let me remove one and see if we can duplicate the cuts. I am a sheet metal mechanic by trade and they could be duplicated.

Of note the car will be in Tacoma today at the Prowl. I hope Jim makes it to see it!!!

Rob

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 19 Aug 2018, 10:54

The car is here at Prowl and Jim has looked at the car and spoken with the owner.
I wish I could post pictures, but I’m getting error messages .
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 19 Aug 2018, 22:03

Error Message....

Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 20 Aug 2018, 09:49

Thanks Neal.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell » 20 Aug 2018, 12:19

All,
Does the GTE 427 engine come from the factory with an aluminum or cast iron intake manifold?

Rob