The April 2016 Ride of the Month is Badcat's '71 XR-7 Upbeat Interior XR-7 survivor!

The Classic Cougar Community Hall of Fame. This is the place to nominate your favorite Cougar, or Check out some of the finest Cougars in the world.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

The April 2016 Ride of the Month is Badcat's '71 XR-7 Upbeat Interior XR-7 survivor!

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Apr 2016, 13:18

The April 2016 Ride of the Month is Neal's (Badcat) '71 XR-7 survivor!

The Ride of the Month doesn't always come at the most opportune time for the winners. In Neal's case he is preparing for a big life change that is going to give him a lot more time to enjoy his Cougars. But nothing comes easy, and he is very busy with preparations. Fortunately for us, Neal did share a tremendous amount of fascinating information about this car, including how he acquired it, in a thread called Wow! Up Beat Cloth and Vinyl, 100% Original Paint '71 XR-7 https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum ... 722#p56722

I have excerpted from that thread to begin to tell the story, but you should be sure to visit the original for more details.

It all started like this:

I saw this Cougar for sale on a obscure Facebook Buy and sell page for my local area. What a find. Very little rust. 100% original paint Bright blue poly metallic paint and I think it will polish up nicely. Blue Up Beat cloth and vinyl interior. It is powered by a 351C 2V with a C6. Interval wipers Sports console Disc brakes and power steering. It went in to storage in 1993, the last time it was registered. It has not been run for all those years, So I will be replacing the gas tank and line, Rebuild the brakes and repair several things.

It still has it's original plates and dealer trim rings. Also has 2 service cards, nice owners manual and a lot of receipts.

That hitch will have to go so I can get the gas tank out.

Not perfect but very nice, including the matching floor mats.

A AM Radio...

Just look at that, You don't see to many this nice.

Any thoughts on what she might be worth when I get her running? I'll have her home Monday. I'll be posting more here as I work on it.

I got the car home this afternoon. Placed an order for a new gas tank and related items. Then gave it a washing. It is going to take some work to get it cleaned up. But not as bad as some I have worked on. I did some looking under the hood. It will need new belts. Both are Autolite belts and the P/S belt has a D0OE part number on it. Oh it has 95,680 miles on it.
I am impressed with the condition of items that are usually trashed. Forgive the perspective here. But when was the last time you saw an original 70/73 steering wheel running cat this nice?
And the ash tray, Not perfect but it looks like it was never used.(I like that)
And I got this today,
Here she is sitting in my yard. Waiting for me to wash her.
Tomorrow I'll be digging a little deeper in to see what I find. I plan to get her in to the shop by Friday. I don't think I'll have her on the road for a few weeks. I have a lot going on and need to catch up on a few obligations. And get the convertible running so I can put this on the lift.

Today I took the trunk apart and took out the back seat and passengers seat looking for rust. Not much and none through. I

will kill and Por 15 it soon. I found the build sheet under the passengers side carpet. Not in to bad of shape, just yucky

brown. I'll have to find the thread about cleaning them and do that. I also found a corner of another one.

The trunk floor looks purty good, not perfect.

It came with a new set of plugs, wires and fuel filter. Not sure if I'll use the wires. I have a few more sets that my be better quality, It came with a distributor cap, for some GM 6 cylinder.

So far I have a $0.44 return on my investment. Plus 1 NOS screw.

It came wit hall this documentation. A list of services done up to 71,000 miles. Receipts, owners manual 2 service cards, and more. In the notes I found he bought a 1965 Ranchero 4/1/65 and that he traded in a Ranchero for this Cougar. No note of if it was the 65 or not.

And taped in side the owners manaul are some 10 years worth of registrations.

I have been working on the car out side, I will move it in to the shop this weekend. I will not be able to do much this weekend on it. A very special girl is having her 5th birthday party Sunday and Papa(me) needs to get the place ready on Saturday.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The April 2016 Ride of the Month is Badcat's '71 XR-7 Upbeat Interior XR-7 survivor!

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Apr 2016, 13:21

And the story continues:

The last two days have been overtime at work so not much done. I gave it another washing this evening. I noticed this little oddity,
This it the section on the front of the drivers side fender. Why are the pin stripes on the wheel lip molding?

Here she is all purity and wet.

I got the new gas tank today. The fuel lines will be in next week some time.

This evening I wanted to clean up the rear license plate and reinstall it. In cleaning it up I cafully removed a large stack of year tabs and was surprised to find the original 1971 tab still in place.
Original plate to the car and original tab.
The plate had been held in place with nuts and bolts. When I picked it up a new set of the plastic nut inserts and new screws were in the console ash tray. I had knocked one of the screws under the console removeing the ash tray. So I went to fish it out and kept getting dollar bills insted.
So I ended up pulling the console, I found $10.01(Yes I also found a penny)
The bills are mostly series 1988 a couple 1985 and 1 is 1981. Not worth any more them face value.
But I think I'll buy my lunch tomorrow.

Minor update time. I have not been able to put much time it to this lately. My mother went in to the hospital very sick lady and went down hill from their. A week age we lost her. For the last 3 plus weeks have been a mess of activity concerning her. Spending evenings and weekends at the hospital. We will miss her dearly.
Just before the that started I started working on the fuel system. I cleaned up the top of the engine and removed the carb. I removed the top of it and it looks fine. No corrosion or other noticeable problems. So I went back to clean the last of the gasket of the intake, I did not like what I saw.
This is the lower plenum. Rust and some Black glass like deposits.
Any way, I have decided I will be removing the intake and getting it tanked. I will also get the heads rebuilt. I will be pulling the engine out of it soon. This is not a project I had in mind here. But if this Cougar is going to purr again it has to be done.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The April 2016 Ride of the Month is Badcat's '71 XR-7 Upbeat Interior XR-7 survivor!

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Apr 2016, 13:24

And the work continues:

It's time for another update. To all of you here at the Classic Cougar Community I want to that you for the honor of having this Cougar nominated 2 times for "Ride of the Month". I hope to have it to the point of being a Ride to enjoy bu May 2016 or so.
As I said last up date I had not been able to get much done for awhile. Well Yesterday I got back on it. I spent the day getting the engine pulled out for a rebuild. This picture is one of the main reasons I decided it should be done to make it a good reliable runner,
[url=https://flic.kr/p/AdLHzP]Image
As you can see, Rust. Not a good thing for an engine.
During removal I found some more original parts and marking as well as what I have all ready documented. This is the Alternator. Note the Red highlighted area ofer the stamped part number.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/zURfAT]Image
And when was th elast time you saw a 44 year old car with factory heater hoses?
[url=https://flic.kr/p/APrF6h]Image
So after a day of work here it is sitting on the stand waiting for it's next move.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ARJHWR]Image
As you can see here, I have a lot of work to do,
[url=https://flic.kr/p/AdLxYV]Image
It is getting to be Winter here, so I will have a lot to do in my evenings for the next few months.
I will keep you posted as I continue to revive this Cougar.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ag5LEa]Image
It will be fun.

I broke the top end off the engine today. I founds several exhaust valves that are stuck open. Even better hat I didn't try to run it first. I have the casting numbers off of the components. It is interesting looking at them. The car was built on July 16th 1971.

The block was cast on January 14th 1971(1A17). Both heads were cast on March 30th 1971(1C30) Intake was cast on June 5th 1971(1F5) Drivers side exhaust was cast on May 13th 1971(1F13) and the passengers exhaust was cast on May 3rd 1971(1F3)

So the intake was cast just about a month before the car was built. The block about 6 months before. Of course the block needs more work done to it to make it a finished part then an intake does.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Apr 2016, 13:29

Hattrick found and posted this great ad:

Hopefully Neal will have time to bring us up to date on this very unusual Up Beat Cougar!

zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zman » 08 Apr 2016, 14:40

Congrats. :beerchug:
Great story.
Makes me want another 71.
The thread title had me confused though.
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 09 Apr 2016, 06:44

Thank you folks for this honor, I have the engine builder lined up. I hope to be outing it in some time in June. Bill Great wright up. Thanks.
P.S.
Can you up date the title? It should read April not March.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

jays
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jays » 09 Apr 2016, 12:53

badcatt wrote:Thank you folks for this honor, I have the engine builder lined up. I hope to be outing it in some time in June. Bill Great wright up. Thanks.
P.S.
Can you up date the title? It should read April not March.
Oops. Title fixed.
Allergic to Cats

jcbingcougar
Registered Member

Post by jcbingcougar » 09 Apr 2016, 15:39

Congratulations, Neal! Great car and I'm looking forward to seeing it out and about.
Jeff Bingaman
1970 Cougar
1956 Ford F100
1960 Dodge Phoenix
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2017 F150 Platinum

http://www.cascadecougarclub.com

Dennis Pierachini
Registered Member

Post by Dennis Pierachini » 09 Apr 2016, 17:16

Yes, congratulations, Neal!

I've always had a soft spot for these, having owned a '73 XR-7 convertible back in college. I love that this car is in such great original condition, especially the somewhat rare interior, complete with those very rare matching floor mats.
Dennis Pierachini
CCOA #54

'68 Standard hardtop, Augusta Green, mostly original, February 2015 Ride of the Month
'73 Marquis Brougham 4-door pillared hardtop, Black/Black/Black, featured in Collectible Automobile, October 2015
'02 Lincoln LS, Silver, my faithful daily driver
'14 Lincoln MKX, Plantinum Dune

rcode
Registered Member

Post by rcode » 09 Apr 2016, 19:56

Congrats Neal. Very unique!

Phil J
69 XR7 CJ Triple R San Jose built
03 Cobra (ordered new)
01 D150 plow truck
04 Jaguar XJR
12 Expedition EL
15 Escape Titanium (wife's)