Smell gas

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
superbond
Registered Member

Re: Smell gas

Post by superbond » 16 Jun 2018, 20:03

I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 6 pounds pressure. The reason I wondered is because when I first tried to start the motor after I rebuilt it the carb ( brand new) was plugged as I was trying to break in the cam. I since returned that carb because of other issues too. With this new carb the secondary’s weren’t working. Diaframe had collapsed. I don’t know if it was the multiple back fire. Both carb were Holley 600 with vacuum secondary’s. To be honest I’ve had nothing but bad luck with Holley carbs. That’s why I wanted to check the fuel pressure.
As for the runner gasket on the fire wall I’ll take a look

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 17 Jun 2018, 07:18

Sounds normal.

superbond wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 20:03
I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 6 pounds pressure. The reason I wondered is because when I first tried to start the motor after I rebuilt it the carb ( brand new) was plugged as I was trying to break in the cam. I since returned that carb because of other issues too. With this new carb the secondary’s weren’t working. Diaframe had collapsed. I don’t know if it was the multiple back fire. Both carb were Holley 600 with vacuum secondary’s. To be honest I’ve had nothing but bad luck with Holley carbs. That’s why I wanted to check the fuel pressure.
As for the runner gasket on the fire wall I’ll take a look
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

preaction
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by preaction » 17 Jun 2018, 14:20

If your car should have a vented gas cap and it doesn't the gas tank and lines will become pressurized to a point where the gas tank can become ballooned this kind of pressure will let fuel find a weak point in the system.
67 XR7 6.5 liter auto AC tilt pdb ps thermactor vinyl roof console SS wheels lime frost

superbond
Registered Member

Post by superbond » 20 Jul 2018, 10:09

I really don’t know why it smells. But may be the comment about that rubber weather stripping under the hood could be my problem. The smell isn’t red gas smell it’s more like used gas smell. I don’t know if that makes sense but that’s the only way I can explain it