Smell gas

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
superbond
Registered Member

Re: Smell gas

Post by superbond » 16 Jun 2018, 20:03

I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 6 pounds pressure. The reason I wondered is because when I first tried to start the motor after I rebuilt it the carb ( brand new) was plugged as I was trying to break in the cam. I since returned that carb because of other issues too. With this new carb the secondary’s weren’t working. Diaframe had collapsed. I don’t know if it was the multiple back fire. Both carb were Holley 600 with vacuum secondary’s. To be honest I’ve had nothing but bad luck with Holley carbs. That’s why I wanted to check the fuel pressure.
As for the runner gasket on the fire wall I’ll take a look

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 17 Jun 2018, 07:18

Sounds normal.

superbond wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 20:03
I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 6 pounds pressure. The reason I wondered is because when I first tried to start the motor after I rebuilt it the carb ( brand new) was plugged as I was trying to break in the cam. I since returned that carb because of other issues too. With this new carb the secondary’s weren’t working. Diaframe had collapsed. I don’t know if it was the multiple back fire. Both carb were Holley 600 with vacuum secondary’s. To be honest I’ve had nothing but bad luck with Holley carbs. That’s why I wanted to check the fuel pressure.
As for the runner gasket on the fire wall I’ll take a look
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

preaction
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by preaction » 17 Jun 2018, 14:20

If your car should have a vented gas cap and it doesn't the gas tank and lines will become pressurized to a point where the gas tank can become ballooned this kind of pressure will let fuel find a weak point in the system.
67 XR7 6.5 liter auto AC tilt pdb ps thermactor vinyl roof console SS wheels lime frost