Flexplate replacement

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
JLee
Registered Member

Flexplate replacement

Post by JLee » 11 Jun 2018, 14:58

So im going to be changing the flexplate on my car since the starter has slowly eaten away at part of it and is now not aboe to even move it. Question is, does anyone have a write up (other than the repair manual i have already read it). The repair manual makes it sound way to easy and the videos over watched of many different cars makes this look like a very time consuming job. Any tips or tricks would be super helpful :)

1979 cougar 5.8l

Thanks in advance
1979 cougar xr7

Redneck is a way of life

wish
Registered Member

Re: Flexplate replacement

Post by wish » 12 Jun 2018, 06:52

Depending on how you read the manual it may not appear very involved -- with steps like "remove the transmission" which is obviously easier said than done.

You'll have to pull the trans or engine, depending which side you want to work from. Then it's a simple matter of unbolting the old one and finding the alignment for the new one. Unless you are replacing just the gear portion then you'll need to remove the old gear and put the new one on -- assuming you are replacing the whole plate and not just the gear.

Also would recommend replacing the starter drive gear to be sure you don't create the same issue again right away.
Just my $.02
wish
69 Cougar, That 70s Truck, 84 Cherokee Chief 2dr, 88 Grand Wagoneer, 95 Grand Cherokee,96 Mustang

DaveK
Registered Member

Post by DaveK » 12 Jun 2018, 10:56

A couple pieces of all thread or long bolts with the heads cut off can be used to line up the bell housing with the block.

When you go to mate the transmission back to the engine, make sure that the bell housing is touching the block. DO NOT pull the bell housing in with the bolts. You will most likely destroy the pump and/or the converter.

TheRktmn
Registered Member

Post by TheRktmn » 12 Jun 2018, 11:29

Make sure that you have all the alignment pins in place. If a pin or two is missing you will probably end up with a busted flexplate or worse.
Use a bit of lube on them to help things slide together easier.
Bob

CCOA Member #8195
'69 Cougar XR7, 460/C6. Caution: This car fitted with optional Caution Fan Sticker option!
Internet Rule #6: Never confuse post count with expertise

Tachometers, Voltmeters, Plug & Play Headlight and Horn relay kits and more modernized innovations at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations: http://www.rccinnovations.com

I am usually parked at The Curb: http://www.thecurb.org

JLee
Registered Member

Post by JLee » 18 Jun 2018, 18:06

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going the tranny removal route since I don't have an engine lift. I've heard of using well that to pull the tranny back and be able to keep it lined up still. I dislocated my knee and its still healing so im taking it slow right now. I pulled the drive shaft currently, and I'm assessing everything I need to disconnect to move the transmission back since I'm assuming I'll need quite a few inches of space to pull the flexplate off. I already have a new starter and I'm ordering the new flexplate when I get the old one out. In replacing the whole flexplate. I rotated the engine enough to start the car and let it run for 30 minutes yesterday just to keep everything lubed lol

Again thanks for the tips. Now to figure out what flexplate i have 🤔
1979 cougar xr7

Redneck is a way of life

JLee
Registered Member

Post by JLee » 20 Jun 2018, 08:16

So ive run into a dilemma....it wont separate. I was on my 12 hour of working on the car and maybe I couldnt muster the strength to do it but it just wasnt budging. I made sure all bolts for the "flange" of the bell housing were out. The engine was supposedly replaced within the past three years since the last one was seized but if it was the same mechanic who the previous owner has been using than this is scaring me. Ive jacked the tranny up amd down a bit to try amd wiggle it a bit with no luck. Any more tips on seperating them? Ive so far read about using a come along and winching it back, using a chisel or similar to to pry the two pieces.

FYI I did get the PITA bolt on top of the bell housing :D
1979 cougar xr7

Redneck is a way of life

TheRktmn
Registered Member

Post by TheRktmn » 20 Jun 2018, 08:35

They don't separate easily. You could try some penetrating oil on the dowel pins, but it's been my experience that wiggling up,down, left,right with a bit of pissed off frustration is the only way.
While I'm think of it: You removed the four converter to flexplate nuts, right?
Bob

CCOA Member #8195
'69 Cougar XR7, 460/C6. Caution: This car fitted with optional Caution Fan Sticker option!
Internet Rule #6: Never confuse post count with expertise

Tachometers, Voltmeters, Plug & Play Headlight and Horn relay kits and more modernized innovations at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations: http://www.rccinnovations.com

I am usually parked at The Curb: http://www.thecurb.org

catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by catlover » 20 Jun 2018, 14:47

You said :FYI I did get the PITA bolt on top of the bell housing
There are 2 bolts on top, 1 on each side,, there are 6 altogether, and for sure you removed the starter!
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

JLee
Registered Member

Post by JLee » 21 Jun 2018, 11:02

1. Yes starter I'd off.
2. Yes the nuts on the flex play have been removed
3. Seriously? I only found 1 bolt on top 😡😡😡 but the way you described it makes it sound like we ate talking about different bell housing. I had 2 on wah side not one.

Edit: yup theres another on top... Didnt see it the other evening... :wall:
1979 cougar xr7

Redneck is a way of life

catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by catlover » 21 Jun 2018, 11:45

Make sure you get all 6 removed, and leave the torque converter in the transmission, unless you want to change the seal, which would be a good idea.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574