Emergency Flasher Problem

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
70XR7Tom
Registered Member

Emergency Flasher Problem

Post by 70XR7Tom » 05 Dec 2018, 21:58

Need some help. I'm usually pretty good with circuit diagnostics but this one has got me stumped.

Emergency Flashers do not function, no lights no clicking from flasher

Background:
1970 Cougar with Full WCCC LED and Electronic Sequencing conversion
• Electronic Sequencer #12135
• Electronic Flashers (2) #12827
• Side Marker Adp. Kit #12839 (4 pcs.)
• All specified LED bulbs
System has worked correctly for almost a year

Diagnostics:
• Parking lights work correctly on all bulbs
• Brake lights function correctly on all bulbs
• Turn signals – left and right signals function correctly all bulbs front and rear incl. side markers
• Power to Emer. Elec. Flasher – ok
• Electronic Flasher – ok - swooped with Electronic Flasher on turn signals neither operates the Emer. Flasher both work as turn signal flasher
• Emer. Flasher switch checked for terminal continuity per wiring diagram– ok (also swooped with an older switch replaced due to mechanical cancelling issue)
• Wiring continuity checked from switch side of steering column connector to connector at sequencer. - ok
• Visual examination of electronic sequencer board shows no visible damage
Two other anomalies found
• Front side marker light not lighting – switched polarity on LED bulb and now functioning (these bulbs don’t show polarity markings or keys – presumably should work either way and did for almost a year)
• Middle left 1157R bulb in taillight- the end LED on the bulb not lighting all other LED’s on bulb working (both running lights and brake light functions)

Any suggestions on additional diagnostics?
I checked the diagnostics on cougarsunlimited.net, they don't cover this failure mode.
Can it be anything else besides the electronic sequencer?
Houston TX
CCOA # 9432
1970 Cougar XR7 Hardtop 351C-4V, FMX, PW, PB, PS, AC, Rear Window Defogger, Styled Steel Wheels,
White Vinyl Top, Special Paint - 1968 Madras Blue, Black Houndstooth interior- Bought April 2015
RIP - 1970 Cougar 351C-2V, FMX, PS, AC, Vinyl Top, retro fitted PB - New to 1983

70XR7Tom
Registered Member

Re: Emergency Flasher Problem

Post by 70XR7Tom » 06 Dec 2018, 15:30

I've heard it said that no good deed goes unpunished. This one was self inflicted.

Vic at Cougars Unlimited responded quickly to my email and reminded me that the flasher connectors are often reversed polarity and may require jumpers to correct the polarity for the electronic flashers.

I’ve been doing a lot of electrical work in the center dash, fixing the low fuel warning indicator, fixing the key/lights warning buzzer and more. For diagnostics and to ease making connecting and disconnecting components in tight spots or just aiding in placing some in different locations I’ve often added short extension jumpers to the wiring. Recently while in the dash I removed a pair of these “extensions” from the emergency flasher. I’d forgotten that these were there to reverse the polarity of the flasher plug. I need to go back and reinstall them. I’ve spent a lot of time chasing this and his help has given me a simple solutions.
Houston TX
CCOA # 9432
1970 Cougar XR7 Hardtop 351C-4V, FMX, PW, PB, PS, AC, Rear Window Defogger, Styled Steel Wheels,
White Vinyl Top, Special Paint - 1968 Madras Blue, Black Houndstooth interior- Bought April 2015
RIP - 1970 Cougar 351C-2V, FMX, PS, AC, Vinyl Top, retro fitted PB - New to 1983

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 06 Dec 2018, 17:56

Doh!
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 06 Dec 2018, 18:44

Actually if you post here all who use the thread can benefit and at least 3 experts watch this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2518&p=100218&hilit ... ng#p100218