ATTENTION! Photobucket is holding us hostage!

Tell us what you think! This forum is here to serve the Cougar hobby, we need your help to make it better.
93RGTE
Registered Member

Re: ATTENTION! Photobucket is holding us hostage!

Post by 93RGTE » 30 Jun 2017, 17:23

I don't think it's unreasonable for us to pay dues just like we would to a local or national club.
I'm sure we addicts - er - regulars - would be happy to divi up the expenses, even for PB if there isn't
a viable altenative. Photo posting is vital to this endeavor.
($399 is $1.09/day.)
Gary

johnboy
Registered Member

Post by johnboy » 30 Jun 2017, 17:57

I don't know if it might help, but motortopia.com is a car site (mostly) and there has been no problem with pics
68 XR7 J code madras blue/aqua
pics at http://www.motortopia.com/johnboy/car-pictures

Proud Member of the Curbsters

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 19:44

I think we can avoid anything like dues. Jay has some ideas but at first blush if we take about 7 minutes per image currently hosted on PB it will take 188 hours to update everything with a new link. The key is to figure out how to migrate. This is a major disruption to literally hundreds of thousands of site. PB Claims to 100 million users and billions of images. As web masters figure this out they will share what they are doing and we will be paying attention. We are looking into our own virtual private server just to host images.

We have a bunch of different sites on a shared server so it is difficult to assign exact costs to this site. Jay and I are all volunteer labor so that helps. I really don't want to know... LOL! My best guess is that it is something less than $100 a month so not that bad.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 19:46

I am going to be out of pocket for the next week visiting my in laws. Jay and I will be in communication as we figure this out.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 21:03

I have to finish packing, but THANK YOU! to the folks that have stepped up. It is greatly appreciated.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Jul 2017, 10:27

Jay for the WIN!

Here is a synopsis of what Jay did to get us back in business:

He built an application on our server to retrieve a list of all the URLs used in the forums for a given Photobucket account. Then he got a ZIP file of all of the images we own. This file is too large to process on our server so he has to do this on a local computer with a lot more memory. These are big files! Then he wrote a script to basically re-write and reconfigure all of the file names, getting rid of the gibberish that Photobucket attached.

Photobucket made this pure hell. Every time I created a new ROTM I created a new album to store the images. I think that there were upwards of 50 albums... Each time we wanted to download an album, Jay had to manually enter the F'ed up reCAPTHCA. A major PITA.

The the images have to be resized to fit and all the other extraneous stuff removed. Then the files are compressed and stored on a special file on the local computer. Back on the CCC application the lists are compared and the new images are posted to a data table.

One cool by-product is that now that we are feeding the images from our own server you won't see the "insecure site" notice in the address bar.

If this sounds easy, it was anything else but. Photobucket went down repeatedly blowing up the process and then changed the addresses of our images in the middle of the process. In the end we had to move some 444 files and about 43.7 MB.

So this took care of the images we put on the site, but what about your PB images? Never fear Jay is here!

There were 2987 remaining posts with PB images posted by users. When we started it appeared that none of those were being blocked.

Since the images were not yet being blocked, and still being displayed, it was not necessary to down load them directly. Jay wrote a script to find them and down load them then process them and store them on our site. So this solved most of the rest of the issues.

I have to mention that going forward you will want to load images directly onto the CCC site, and not use other hosting services. Chances are we will have this same issue in the future otherwise.

And the bad news... It looks like Jeff Speegle and Brian Aust have now been blocked. We can't recover those images. To further complicate things, it looks like some of the images of Brian's that I had duplicated and stored on my own personal PB account, have been removed from my PB account. My best guess is that some people finding that their accounts are blocked are setting up new accounts and moving images into new unblocked accounts as a work around. To keep them from doing it, it appears PB is blocking those images....

I case anyone was wondering, if this was not being done pro bono it would have run in the thousands of $$. We all owe Jay a huge debt of gratitude at the bare minimum! Way to go JAY!

HatTrick
Registered Member

Post by HatTrick » 08 Jul 2017, 20:43

Chad

1967 XR7 GT 4-Speed
in lieu of 1972 Convertible on Craigslist, repaint inside of house and repair basement drain tile
in lieu of 1968 XR7-G #4-#3 condition, replace windows in house
in lieu of 1964 Buick Riviera, saving for new siding
in lieu of 1969 Mercury Cyclone CobraJet, saving for kids' college

catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by catlover » 09 Jul 2017, 16:14

From a guy that just barely knows how to turn on a computer, I find that fantastic, Way to go JAY. Thanks for keeping us up and running.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

Comp Elimn8r
Registered Member

Post by Comp Elimn8r » 10 Jul 2017, 15:31

Thanks for all the work guys, I hate PB atm.
Uploading photos for my resto thread is such a drag with all the ads and rubbish popping up.
1970 Eliminator 351 Comp Green, white trim, auto & Sunroof (1 of 2)

zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zman » 10 Jul 2017, 16:07

Thanks Jay :beerchug:
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440