2015 State of the ClassicCougarCommunity.Com

Tell us what you think! This forum is here to serve the Cougar hobby, we need your help to make it better.
G Dub
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 2015 State of the ClassicCougarCommunity.Com

Post by G Dub » 21 Jan 2015, 22:16

I've never had a problem with logging in or getting logged out. I just hit the book mark, and it goes right to the forums.
I don't do Facebook, so I'm not familiar with what might be on there Cougar related.
I'm not actively doing my Cougar build yet, and the Mustang will probably be first when the time comes, but this is the only car site I visit on a daily basis to read the posts.
I haven't been to the other Cougar site since all the BS was going on a few years back. Probably missing out on a lot of good info, but just no desire to go there at this time. This site is working fine for me.

G Dub

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 22 Jan 2015, 15:36

I actually visit both Cougar sites still, as well as other similar sites, usually a few times a day for a break from data crunching. I do prefer CCC, but sometimes the questions I have fit better on other forums.

I have no problems with the Login, or being logged out ~ always check the "remember me forever" box.

I feel Pictures are fairly straightforward, but we still often see new people having trouble posting pics. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement a "drag and drop" feature that would automagically down-size the image to conserve space & bandwidth. If a person wants to post a high-resolution pic they could still do it via a hosting service.

I think some sort of "up-rate" or "down-rate" system would be nice. Alot of times I'll read a post that I agree with or a picture / update that I like, but it seems impractical to make a post that says "I agree with that!", or "awesome pic." But a "thumbs up" might be nice.

That's all I have, for now - minor things for sure.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 22 Jan 2015, 20:03

Jay and I are trying to see if we can find a better way to handle the images. The main problem is that the down sizing needs to occur before we get the file. This is where the cubic money of Facebook comes into play. They can throw serious server and network power at the problem, money no object. Maybe we can find a clever way to give you a little widget for your desk top that will down size to what you need.

I do like the thumbs up idea. I have no idea if it is possible. Likes are a quick way to say atta boy.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 23 Jan 2015, 09:25

xr7g428 wrote:Jay and I are trying to see if we can find a better way to handle the images. The main problem is that the down sizing needs to occur before we get the file. This is where the cubic money of Facebook comes into play. They can throw serious server and network power at the problem, money no object. Maybe we can find a clever way to give you a little widget for your desk top that will down size to what you need.

I do like the thumbs up idea. I have no idea if it is possible. Likes are a quick way to say atta boy.
Is there a problem I don't see with letting Photobucket (or similar) do the heavy lifting (storage) for people wanting to post pictures? Are a lot of people still having trouble with how to link/embed in postings with content from their PB account?

It's so easy, even an ECI can do it...
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 23 Jan 2015, 11:16

1969XR7Vert wrote:
xr7g428 wrote:Jay and I are trying to see if we can find a better way to handle the images. The main problem is that the down sizing needs to occur before we get the file. This is where the cubic money of Facebook comes into play. They can throw serious server and network power at the problem, money no object. Maybe we can find a clever way to give you a little widget for your desk top that will down size to what you need.

Is there a problem I don't see with letting Photobucket (or similar) do the heavy lifting (storage) for people wanting to post pictures? Are a lot of people still having trouble with how to link/embed in postings with content from their PB account?

I'm in agreement with Bob here...... :eek2: .....if he can do it, and I can do it.......Photobucket is the "Hooked on Phonix" for photo posting.......
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 23 Jan 2015, 12:11

1969XR7Vert wrote:

Bob I thought the same thing. I do realize that not everybody is tech savvy so thats why I think a video tutorial showing different steps for posting pictures would help.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 23 Jan 2015, 16:15

mo2872 wrote:
1969XR7Vert wrote:

I'm in agreement with Bob here...... :eek2: .....if he can do it, and I can do it.......Photobucket is the "Hooked on Phonix" for photo posting.......
I agree with you guys. I only brought it up because it seems there is always someone asking how to do it, or saying they are having trouble posting pics. :think:
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 23 Jan 2015, 16:44

I think that most folks, given adequate instruction, can open a free Photobucket account, remember the password and user name, and select and upload the images, and then open both sites, copy the link and hit the IMG button after they open the full editor. Then paste the address in between the IMG tags. Cake.

Or thy can drag the image over to the comment box and be done. LOL!

G68
Registered Member

Post by G68 » 23 Jan 2015, 18:16

Copy of IMGP3904a.jpg
I use a Pentax photo program called ACDSee that very easily re-sizes photos so they will be accepted by the website. I usually have to downsize them to about 20% of the original. It is super easy to do. I re-size and save with a letter behind the original Image # and I don't lose the quality of the original.

I couldn't resist adding a picture from back in 2012...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I feel more like I do now than I did yesterday"

1968 Cougar 289 4V
2018 F-150 XLT Sport 5.0L Coyote
2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4 L
2017 Mustang (Sally) 2.3L 310 HP EcoBoost

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 23 Jan 2015, 18:30

What about posting links. I got a phone call from an individual that prefers to remain unknown asking for the ability to hide the link and to insert a highlighted phrase instead. Is this something that you folks would use?