Daily driver Eliminator - am I crazy?

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
badcatt
Registered Member

Re: Daily driver Eliminator - am I crazy?

Post by badcatt » 02 Oct 2018, 15:35

I have a buddy who had a 69 Eliminator Hurtz rent a racer with the sun roof. He put a full aftermarket suspention under it. I think he also put a stroker and AOD in it. He kept it so it can be returned to stock when time to do so. He loves driving it. His brother had a 69 Spoiler II Dan Gurney Special that runs a stroker and AOD and runs low 12 second 1/4 mile. Also saved all the number correct parts. I think you need to think about the modifications you make and try to keep them easy to return to stock. Enjoy your Cougar how you want.

P.S. We are all crazy driving these old cars. But I would not want it any other way.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

bsbeck
Registered Member

Post by bsbeck » 02 Oct 2018, 15:54

It's a fine line between keeping it 100% stock and making it just how you want it. Yes it hurts the value of the car every time you change something out but I also agree with everyone else....just keep all the original parts, do what you want but don't butcher the car. If you aren't selling it, then do what you want and ENJOY it. When you're dead and gone, tell them in your will where to find all the parts and wish them luck putting it all back together!!! LOL.

I keep every part and I'm even keeping a log of everything I've done to my car.
Scott B.

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Blue / Black Comfortweave)

johnque
Registered Member

Post by johnque » 02 Oct 2018, 16:24

Ha, funny about the will :)

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 02 Oct 2018, 18:59

johnque wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 14:51
Bill, meaning modern mods to an Eliminator would hitt the resale value? Yeah, guess that’s the gist of my question. Should Elimiators be kept stock to “preserve history” and I should get a base to play with and modernize as needed for a daily? Then again, I don’t see me selling in the future. Thanks for the opinions!!
Depends on what you start with. For example, take that really rusty messed up Boss 302 Eliminator that's on eBay & CraigsList out of Washington right now. What if you bought it, repaired it, modded the hell out of it, and made it into a hot rod daily driver. If anyone says "why did you do that?" you can just show them the pictures of what you started with and tell them to shush cuz you saved it from the crusher, LOL!

Seriously though, unless you are looking for a nice Boss or CJ Eliminator as a daily driver, I wouldn't worry about it. These aren't ultra-low production cars - they built about 4500 of them (2250 in '69, 2268 in '70). Over half of them are basic 351 cars - around 3000 of those. While we've only accounted for about 1100 of them, they are still coming out of garages, barns and carports all the time. Just because they aren't as common as belly buttons (like some cars), does not mean they are going extinct.

If you find one to use as a daily driver, I say drive the heck out of it and enjoy it :-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

johnque
Registered Member

Post by johnque » 03 Oct 2018, 06:30

Well put, thanks Mike and everyone else!

bsbeck
Registered Member

Post by bsbeck » 03 Oct 2018, 08:31

Michael, did you just diss my 351 Eliminator??????????? :naughty: :D :lol:
Scott B.

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Blue / Black Comfortweave)

R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by R Code » 03 Oct 2018, 09:35

8-) We are all crazy in our own way, brother John.
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 03 Oct 2018, 18:22

bsbeck wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 08:31
Michael, did you just diss my 351 Eliminator??????????? :naughty: :D :lol:
LOL! I would never do that, you know I love Eliminators :-) But I would rather actually see them on the road instead of parked in the garage. Sure, there are exceptions - top notch restored or very original unrestored cars should be cared for appropriately. IMO, at a certain level they become Art, but most of us don't own one of the few "Master Piece" Eliminators out there. So enjoy what you have and let the next guy worry about "Art conservation" ;-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!