Daily driver Eliminator - am I crazy?

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
johnque
Registered Member

Daily driver Eliminator - am I crazy?

Post by johnque » 01 Oct 2018, 17:20

My search for a Cougar continues... naturally I am drooling over the Eliminators. But I got to thinking, if I can muster up wife-approval on the purchase costs for an Eliminator, would I be crazy to make it a daily driver?

Overall that is what I am looking for; a daily driver that still needs work as a hobby. If I am going to take it out of the garage a lot should I stick with a more base model and restomod it to my liking, style it like an Eliminator, and be able to enjoy the driving experience?

Are Eliminators "must restore to original" for show only?

Who out there take their cat out often??

Thanks!

93RGTE
Registered Member

Re: Daily driver Eliminator - am I crazy?

Post by 93RGTE » 01 Oct 2018, 18:00

There have to be driver condition Eliminators out there. They'll be pricier than a base or XR-7, but they are Very Cool cars! My choice for a DD would be one with a 351 and a 4-speed. In what part of the country are you? What is your commute like? Might be a drag in snow. You'll also get mileage that was ok when gas was $0.30/gallon. And remember: Old Cars Are Fun! (and don't sell the Honda!)
Gary

johnque
Registered Member

Post by johnque » 01 Oct 2018, 18:06

Yeah, I agree if I were lucky enough to find anything higher end than a 351 I would feel obligated to restore/show it rather than drive it due to the rarity.

In in PA so there's that, ha! I would probably put it away for the winter to prolong its life (avoid road salt). Luckily my commute is less than a mile one way so gas mileage is not a factor.

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 01 Oct 2018, 19:27

Guys spend $45-$50K on new trucks and drive those year round. To me, that's crazy. I say drive what you love driving. I've logged over 80,000 on my 68 xr7 since 2004.
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

ssava
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ssava » 01 Oct 2018, 20:08

johnque wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:20
My search for a Cougar continues... naturally I am drooling over the Eliminators. But I got to thinking, if I can muster up wife-approval on the purchase costs for an Eliminator, would I be crazy to make it a daily driver?

Overall that is what I am looking for; a daily driver that still needs work as a hobby. If I am going to take it out of the garage a lot should I stick with a more base model and restomod it to my liking, style it like an Eliminator, and be able to enjoy the driving experience?

Are Eliminators "must restore to original" for show only?

Who out there take their cat out often??

Thanks!
My 67 XR7 is my daily driver and it's a blast.
Picking up the kids, going to the grocery store, or even into the city for meetings.
I work from home, so it's not a commute. But just daily errands.
"Esmerelda"
'67 Cougar XR7 purchased September, 2017 to work on with my twin (14) year old boys
Franklin, TN

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 01 Oct 2018, 21:51

Y'know, if mine were in better shape - or the weather here was less rainy - I would drive my Eliminator a lot more often. As it is, during the dry months I usually drive it a few times a week.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 02 Oct 2018, 05:33

I would look for a 351 / 3 speed Eliminator. Then swap in a stroked Windsor and a Tremek TKO. With the price of new cars these days it will be cheaper and faster than what you could get new from a Ford dealer for the same money. With a lot more class!
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

JETEXAS
Registered Member

Post by JETEXAS » 02 Oct 2018, 08:40

Some people look at cars as only transportation, some see them as a hobby, and some look at them like an investment. Do what you want. There's no right or wrong.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 02 Oct 2018, 11:53

Maybe I am getting old, but I like things like AC, bright headlights, even power windows, being able to cruise at 75 MPH, most of all, bullet proof reliability. As our Cougars get older I find that a little modernization goes along way to making all that happen. That means a lot of modifications. Those mods might be a break even on an XR-7 or Standard but I think they could actually hurt you pretty badly on an Eliminator. I once bought an XR7-G and removed about $15k in mods, returned it stock condition and then sold it for about $15K more than I paid for it. In retrospect I probably didn't make any money even then, but the guy I bought it from sure lost a ton.

We are all different but here is what I did. I bought a 2000 Lincoln Continental with 28,000 miles on it (still had the original tires on it!). It has a few scratches from the elderly previous owners poor driving but it is in generally good shape. Living in the west if we go anywhere it is a long high speed drive on the interstate. I put those miles on the Lincoln. I now know why old white guys like these so much, it is like sitting in your recliner going down the highway, and as a bonus it is invisible to cops. It cost me $4000, I put a set of tires on it, a modern GPS and back up camera equipped radio, and drove it about 4,000 miles from California, and then up to Oregon and back. So far it has required a set of rear air bags, an AC air door motor, and a fuel pump. Total repairs less then $200 in over 2 years. I have other newer nicer vehicles, but this takes the miles off of all of them. It also allows me to drive the Cougars only on nice days and only places that I want to take them. Even then I still tend to drive the Cougar with the most modifications particularly at night.

This is probably a crazy rationalization, but I see the Lincoln as a $4500 modification to the Cougars.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

johnque
Registered Member

Post by johnque » 02 Oct 2018, 14:51

Bill, meaning modern mods to an Eliminator would hitt the resale value? Yeah, guess that’s the gist of my question. Should Elimiators be kept stock to “preserve history” and I should get a base to play with and modernize as needed for a daily? Then again, I don’t see me selling in the future. Thanks for the opinions!!