After searching for 15 years for my childhood '69 Cougar, I'm this close to buying - looking for assistance in pricing..

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
cj750
Registered Member

Re: After searching for 15 years for my childhood '69 Cougar, I'm this close to buying - looking for assistance in prici

Post by cj750 » 24 Sep 2018, 09:36

swoop1156 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 08:50

Crazy informative post, thank you! Regarding the spacing of the rear spoiler, that's wild. So that would mean it was installed after the fact? I used all morning at work to be able to spot the difference in a Windsor vs. Cleveland, as well as spotting a 428, just in case. You never know.
Yes, not a '69 Cougar rear spoiler. The ones used on Cougars in '69 have a pedestal spacing of 31". The ones used on Mustangs, Mopars and the '70 Eliminator have a spacing of 36". '69 Eliminator spoilers are not reproduced, and are difficult item to come by these days. So its very very rare for a clone or tribute car to have the correct '69 spoiler installed. In fact I can't think of any, but there are probably one or two out there.
The difference is readily apparent, once you know to look for it:

Let us know when you have new information from the seller.
Every post I make comes with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

1969 Cougar Eliminator 351 4V, yellow
1970 Cougar Eliminator 428SCJ, black

1969eliminator
Registered Member

Re: After searching for 15 years for my childhood '69 Cougar, I'm this close to buying - looking for assistance in prici

Post by 1969eliminator » 24 Sep 2018, 10:52

Adam, good story. I'm one of those guys who re-bought his original '69 Eliminator 35 years after selling it. And, paid "nostalgic" value instead of "market" value!! The seller knew this and had me (and my wife). But now I have it again, totally restored it to near perfect factory condition and don't regret at all that I bought it and paid too much for it. All this too say, be prepared to pay more for it than it may be really worth; it's worth more to YOU than the real market!!
You can read my whole story here ... https://harrya.webs.com
Good luck, and I say, DO IT!!
1969 Eliminator 351-4V M-code (original owner)

Harry

swoop1156
Registered Member

Post by swoop1156 » 25 Sep 2018, 15:25

cj750 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 09:36
swoop1156 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 08:50

Crazy informative post, thank you! Regarding the spacing of the rear spoiler, that's wild. So that would mean it was installed after the fact? I used all morning at work to be able to spot the difference in a Windsor vs. Cleveland, as well as spotting a 428, just in case. You never know.
Yes, not a '69 Cougar rear spoiler. The ones used on Cougars in '69 have a pedestal spacing of 31". The ones used on Mustangs, Mopars and the '70 Eliminator have a spacing of 36". '69 Eliminator spoilers are not reproduced, and are difficult item to come by these days. So its very very rare for a clone or tribute car to have the correct '69 spoiler installed. In fact I can't think of any, but there are probably one or two out there.
The difference is readily apparent, once you know to look for it:

Let us know when you have new information from the seller.
That's awesome, learn something new every day. Thanks for the insight as to this. Still no news from the owner, still also has not answered his phone nor responded on FB.
1969eliminator wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 10:52
Adam, good story. I'm one of those guys who re-bought his original '69 Eliminator 35 years after selling it. And, paid "nostalgic" value instead of "market" value!! The seller knew this and had me (and my wife). But now I have it again, totally restored it to near perfect factory condition and don't regret at all that I bought it and paid too much for it. All this too say, be prepared to pay more for it than it may be really worth; it's worth more to YOU than the real market!!
You can read my whole story here ... https://harrya.webs.com
Good luck, and I say, DO IT!!
That's incredible! I went to the website and oogled over all of the pictures. Heck of a story, man! Thanks for sharing!

swoop1156
Registered Member

Post by swoop1156 » 11 Oct 2018, 08:03

Update:

The guy read and responded to my inquiry for pictures and other detailed information, but has yet to deliver. He said he'd get with me two weekends ago and still nothing.

I scoured through my archive of pictures and have found only ONE picture of the engine bay, and I can't really tell. Sure enough though, my buddy Paul and I think it's indeed the/a 351W, looks like it has A/C.

Any other opinions/facts?

Thanks again for dealing with me.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 11 Oct 2018, 13:17

I say let the guy know you are interested but looking at other options. Its not like it is really rare or bought by you new. If you took the $ it would take to purchase it and the $25k it would take to make it really nice again you might surprise yourself on what you will find if you just lurk on the sidelines for a few months. I found my original 1968 Cougar bashed hard in the nose along side the road years ago and HAD to buy it back because of nostalgia. In the end it just made no sense to pile big money into a wrecked, rusted 68 std 2V so I scrapped it and over the years each 67-8 that had some meaning to me got some little part off of it.