Tune update on my Cougar

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Fanny
Registered Member

Tune update on my Cougar

Post by Fanny » 22 Jul 2017, 03:25

Hi all this just a quick update my Cougar finally made it to a Dyno tune shop it had quite a few issues 1 the Holly needed rejetting and carbon button in dizzy cap was the wrong 1 needed to be changed also all the high tension lead ends were not makeing good contact. I thought it was running way to rich but dyno said it was on the lean side.
The big find was that the orignal air filter was starving the engine for air so a K & N filter has been fitted with amazing results some 20 plus horsepower the other big find that was discovered was the fuel pump wasnt working properly so new one fitted and wow this thing purrs now its like driving a completly different car so smooth when running now and the power increase is huge.
And guess what can feel the gear changes now in the C6 so there wasnt a issue there after all thankfully.
This cougar flys now and still no kick down hooked up yet so im happy it is all running how it should finally.

Regards
Andrew
Attachments
Cougar 1 (1).jpg
Cougar 1 (1).jpg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Cougar Motor 2 (1).jpg
Cougar Motor 2 (1).jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Caleb
Registered Member

Re: Tune update on my Cougar

Post by Caleb » 22 Jul 2017, 10:25

So what did the dyno numbers end up being? And what have you done to the motor? Glad you got it all running good

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 22 Jul 2017, 16:34

Good deal. Always nice to get a car dialed in. Like the pics too. Kind of funny how much these old engines pick up from simple things like air filter/housing changes. It may be a little more time consuming than hooking up a programmer, but it's a thousand times more rewarding.

allenman85
Registered Member

Post by allenman85 » 22 Jul 2017, 16:41

What in the heck is that thing upfront that looks like a second brake booster? Never seen this before...
1970 Cougar. 351C/FMX/AC/PS/PB/Comp Green w/White Top, 3:00 open
Now: 622 HP, 351W w/AFR, solid roller, 418ci, C6, 3.50:1 posi, 3" Magnaflow SS exhaust

Fanny
Registered Member

Post by Fanny » 22 Jul 2017, 18:53

Hi Guys
Well Caleb the numbers ended up being 370 horsepower at the fly wheel i havnt done much to engine apart from getting it to run how it should there were lots of small things causing me greif but hopefully ive sorted everything now so i can move onto some other projects with the Cougar. Plan on giving the 428cj a new cam so it has more attitude (mongrel).
And Guitar it was very rewarding to finally get this old 428 cj l to purr how it should its all the small things that we all seem to over look but was defitnatly worth the wait and the Dyno.
LOL allenman85 yeah its a booster (they called a remote Booster)can be fitted anywhere on a car very effective.
When i first got this car and took for a drive with all this horsepower it was scary when i first applyed the brakes it didnt want to stop so needed to sort quickly, so i could get the Cougar road worthy here in Oz as ya can see there isnt much room in the engine compartment so this was a cheaper and less time consuming solution to make the car stop. It works a treat pulls her up real quick now and passed the pit inspection which was the objective so i could get the cougar road legal here.
One day i may fit one to the firewall where it should be but that would only happen if i ever pull the engine out just no room with it in lol.

waterlife
Registered Member

Post by waterlife » 22 Jul 2017, 18:57

allenman85 wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 16:41
What in the heck is that thing upfront that looks like a second brake booster? Never seen this before...
I never seen that before either. Looks like an axillary brake booster??
1970 COUGAR M CODE

leonbray
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by leonbray » 22 Jul 2017, 19:56

Where abouts in Oz are you? We are trying to organise a 50th get together in Brisbane on Oct 7, if you aren't too far way
Designed to be driven

Fanny
Registered Member

Post by Fanny » 22 Jul 2017, 21:36

Hi
Leonbray would love to be part of that but im to far from Brisbane im in the most isolated city in the world Perth sadly

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 22 Jul 2017, 23:53

Fanny you had it chassis dyno'd right? What were the wheel hp and torque numbers? And do you know the peak rpm of the torque and hp? Do you have a dyno sheet you could post a picture of? Not to be a pain I'm just very interested in real world power numbers for those big blocks.