Why Edelbrock??

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
guitar74
Registered Member

Re: Why Edelbrock??

Post by guitar74 » 22 Jul 2017, 16:29

So far the Holley on the old barge has done great. I actually hope that continues. I REALLY like the Summit carb. Annular boosters based on the 4100 so linkage hooks up, clear sight windows. My only complaint, and it isn't as much a complaint as really using something that would be more a home on a bigger engine, is the dual feed design REALLY swallows the intake on my little 289.

For that reason alone, something like an 1850 Holley (if the one I have on the barge proves reliable)or an Edelbrock carb will probably find a home on my Cougar. Also, you need a spacer between the Summit carb and performer 289 intake as the accelerator pump housing will hit the intake runner. Performance wise, it does just fine, although mine was jetted a little too lean.

I may have asked this, Caleb, but do you still have the black '69 as well as your latest purchase?

67429merc
Registered Member

Post by 67429merc » 22 Jul 2017, 18:09

So why do we care what carbs were used on Chrysler products??? With that in mind,hemi eating cammers ran holley carbs!!
67 standard(my first car) 428 4 speed
68 xr7
69 eliminator
70 eliminator
65 f100
70 mustang convertible
67 vw convertible

contibob
Registered Member

Post by contibob » 22 Jul 2017, 21:37

Black or white, night or day, hot or cold, vanilla or chocolate, go with what has worked for you. Myself, it is Holley or Holley based design weather it is on a GM, Chrysler or FORD..........and I have all three, as well as other makes.

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 22 Jul 2017, 23:48

Guitar 74 I still have the black one. Need to decide what parts to keep vs how to best get value for the old one. In the middle of swapping the performer intake and quicl fuel carb right now.

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 23 Jul 2017, 05:52

Ford and GM ran Holley carburetors on all their best street machines with the highest horsepower. Because they were better and faster. And reliable as hell. Your story is silly, because Holley makes the best carburetors on the market. I've been using Holley carburetors on all of my Cougars since the early 1970's. It has been my experience in hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of miles using them on my daily drivers that they last virtually forever with nothing more than routine fuel filter and air filter changes. Which is true of any carburetor, made by any company.

The difference is, a Holley carburetor, correctly chosen for the application, will deliver better mileage and performance than any other brand.
guitar74 wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:02
Yes they did. But they weren't driven on the street, didn't have to worry about cruise, tip in, etc., and were getting tuned for each race. Comparing the cross ram race hemi to the inline 2x4 street hemi is like comparing apples to candy bars. The race hemi also had a full point more compression, the aforementioned cross ram intake if it was a drag hemi or a funky looking single carb intake in stock car trim, if it was factory cam race hemi a MUCH hotter cam and after the late sixties the street hemi got a hydraulic stick (further separating it from the race engine)and as a PACKAGE, not just a carb change, was tuned to operate at a much higher and narrower power range, not expected to do something as crazy as idle in traffic.

My guess is the simplicity of the Holley is why it went on the race engine. Because package for package I can get comparable full throttle performance from either, but can get it without unreliability and lack of service that I have gotten from Holley (refusal to replace a brand new carb with a warped flange that would not seal was enough to spend my money with a different brand).

Yeah I know that the nine second guys aren't using them,but I don't have a nine second car anyhow. Actually a lot of the FAST guys I know are running Quik Fuel, and other Holley based designs because of inconsistency and crappy service. I also Don't have either carb on mine. Time will tell what the Holley on my Galaxie ends up doing, but my guess is it will be like the rest I have ever owned. A problematic hunk of s$%t that only holds its tune a little better than it keeps fuel in the float bowls. I actually hope not, but am not going to hold my breath.

When it goes, the old barge will probably get an eddy. The dual feed on the summit just takes up what little real estate there is on a 289.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

Gyrhead
Registered Member

Post by Gyrhead » 23 Jul 2017, 06:06

You guys clearly have a lot of feelings about this.
1971 Cougar XR-7 Convertible 351C 4V, 4 speed (medium well done 😥)
1970 Torino Cobra 429CJ Ram-Air 4 Speed
2016 Mustang GT350 Chassis #2710
1988 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
2002 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera
2017 Honda Civic Si
2017 VW Jetta GLI
2013 VW GTI (Unitronic Stage 1+ tune 260 HP / 295 ft/lbs - second fastest car in the fleet)

Gyrhead
Registered Member

Post by Gyrhead » 23 Jul 2017, 07:22

Because it's my birthday, indulge me.

Bottom line is that the best carb is the one that you are comfortable with, can tune properly and works well for your needs.

After all, it is a rather simple and crude implement for mixing air & fuel to suit the changing demands of an engine. The laws of gas dynamics & physics apply equally to all carburetors. As long as your carb can cruise near stoichiometric ideal of 14:7 (or a bit higher), enrich to 11:1-12:1 when your engine demands it & seamlessly transition to all air fuel ratios in between - the carb is working.

All the rest is hype, marketing puffery and just plain old pig-headery.

Myself? I've grown weary of carbs. As I've grown out of typewriters, slide rules and bias ply tires. Going to EFI on everything. It's my birthday.
1971 Cougar XR-7 Convertible 351C 4V, 4 speed (medium well done 😥)
1970 Torino Cobra 429CJ Ram-Air 4 Speed
2016 Mustang GT350 Chassis #2710
1988 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
2002 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera
2017 Honda Civic Si
2017 VW Jetta GLI
2013 VW GTI (Unitronic Stage 1+ tune 260 HP / 295 ft/lbs - second fastest car in the fleet)

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 23 Jul 2017, 08:27

Gyrhead happy birthday. Most of what you're saying is totally true. There is definately a big difference between an $800 carb or a $200 one, I can't agree that it's all matketing hype.
While I am always intrigued by bolt on efi and dare I say love LS swaps in a lot of applications, my wife likes to remind me when I ask her opinion is that "its ugly and who cares about driveability, fuel economy, or reliability, it's a 50 year old toy you only drive in the summer. Isn't half the point to, work on it and that it's old?"
And just a side bar, biased ply tires are still the best tire for stick cars when it comes to racing. They haven't gone extinct yet.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 23 Jul 2017, 11:52

With the crap they sell us for gas the case for EFI gets better every day. I just had three of my Cougar out for a little cruise before it gets too hot. Two of them are exhibiting carb issues that are related to ethanol in gas. As the technology gets better and cheaper for EFI retro fits it is not going to make sense to anything else for a driver.

The GT-E is running great until I get into high speed cruise when it has an intermittent miss, like fuel starvation. Probably the sock in the tank has melted or the rear two barrels in the carb are running lean due to erosion of the carb body... The CJ G is doing that intermittent way rich thing when the o-rings on the needle and seat start to crack and fail. I am going to replace the sock with a piece of rubber hose that will reach as far down as the sock so I won't run out of gas early. I am going to start using those carb rebuild kits for running pure alcohol and see if they hold up. And yes Edelbrock carbs have issues with ethanol as well. You ought to see that the accelerator pump looks like after too much ethanol exposure.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 23 Jul 2017, 11:52

Happy Birthday Gyrhead! You get to be completely right for at least one day a year.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry