New 1157 "Plasma" LED Taillight Bulbs: Friggin' Bright!

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
guitar74
Registered Member

Re: New 1157 "Plasma" LED Taillight Bulbs: Friggin' Bright!

Post by guitar74 » 12 Nov 2015, 10:44

Really cool. I want some. I like how the light actually fills the lens. Did an LED brakelight bulb in my softail, and was actually more dim as it didn't seem to illuminate the lens, just a very bright small dot. Needless to say it came out as I need all the help I can get being seen on my bike.

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 18 Nov 2015, 17:26

I installed my LED conversion today. It works well. I had called WCCC with a question about the front 1157 light bulbs. I was reading the instructions for the electronic flasher and it states for use with LED bulbs only. I also should have red the LE Sequencer instructions. The front bulbs can be 1157s.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

AZCAT
Registered Member

Post by AZCAT » 20 Nov 2015, 19:20

Just installed the plasma bulbs on my 67 and noticed with "key on" the tail lights are slightly illuminated. To clarify this is with the headlight switch in the off position and not pressing the brake pedal. The license plate lights are however not on as they would be with the switch in the parking/headlights position. Switching to parking/headlight position result in a brighter normal running light operation, and brake lights operate correctly too. Turn signals also work correctly. This isn't normal is it?

By they way, I have the solid state sequential box.
JOE G.
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Jaguar XJ
- 1967 Standard Polar White, Light Blue Interior
289 EFI, Performer RPM Intake, Performer Plus Cam, Crane Ignition, Coated Headers,
MagnaFlow Exhaust, 4R70W AOD, 3.55 Trac Lok, Front Disc Brakes, Air Conditioning,
AM/FM 8-Track, Sports Console, Speed Control, Electric Headlight Doors.

http://1967merc.blogspot.com

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop » 20 Nov 2015, 21:45

installed new plasma bulbs in the rear (red 1157) and front (1157 amber) with electronic sequencer box and electronic flasher. Both instrument panel trunsignal lights light up and stay lit when I turn on the headlights or the parking lights and the flashers won't work. everything works fine with out turning on the parking or head lights. Very frustrating and odd. I pulled each bulb individually and nothing helped until I put the original amber bulbs back in the front lights. everything worked as it should after that. I think I narrowed it down to just one of the front bulb sockets but I am still confused as to why just those front plasma bulbs caused this condition.
Any ideas? Could it be the contacts (larger than normal) of the plasma bulb actually shorting between the two internal bulb posts? Grasping at straws here and need some guidance. :think:

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration--drive all the time, but you are never really done!)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 21 Nov 2015, 12:20

I thought I read somewhere that the circuit needs a regular bulb somewhere in there so everything works right.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert

AZCAT
Registered Member

Post by AZCAT » 21 Nov 2015, 23:02

This evening I noticed my cruise control (aftermarket) would not engage...it then occurred to me there must be a connection! I recall connecting one of the cruise wires to the brake light switch. It's for a safety feature (which really all modern cars have) that disengages the cruise when the brake is depressed. I will dig a little deeper tomorrow, but I bet that is the cause of my problem. It must provide a small amount of current to the brake wire and when a higher voltage is present the cruise will disengage and/or not engage at all. The LEDs and their lower draw must be causing slight problems with my particular setup.
JOE G.
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Jaguar XJ
- 1967 Standard Polar White, Light Blue Interior
289 EFI, Performer RPM Intake, Performer Plus Cam, Crane Ignition, Coated Headers,
MagnaFlow Exhaust, 4R70W AOD, 3.55 Trac Lok, Front Disc Brakes, Air Conditioning,
AM/FM 8-Track, Sports Console, Speed Control, Electric Headlight Doors.

http://1967merc.blogspot.com

69XRRR7
Registered Member

Post by 69XRRR7 » 23 Nov 2015, 23:48

Just installed the plasma LED lights in my 69. Put in the 6 red tail light bulbs, 2 amber front turn signal bulbs, 2 white back up lights, new LED sequencer, and 2 LED flasher can replacements under the dash. Turn signals work great front and rear. No brake lights, no emergency flashers. When I turn the parking lights or headlights on, everything lights up as it should except the innermost driver side taillight. I am very happy with the brightness and speed of the sequencing turn signals. I think i have some more checking into this. Anyone have some input?
69 XR7 San Jose built
Always under construction
Slightly improved 351W
CCOA member #9421

69XRRR7
Registered Member

Post by 69XRRR7 » 27 Nov 2015, 17:28

I put in the plasma LED tail lights (6), the plasma LED backup lights, and plasma LEDs in the front turn signals. Got the newer LED version of the sequencer board in the trunk, and 2 of the LED flasher can replacements.
First after installing all that, I had no emergency flashers and no brake lights. Turn signals and sequencials work great.
If I put the regular emergency flasher can back in I get emergency flashers, all turn signals work right, but still no brake lights.
I swapped the LED flashers, and all with the same results as above.
If I change everything back to original, I get brake lights. What is the issue here? any ideas?
69 XR7 San Jose built
Always under construction
Slightly improved 351W
CCOA member #9421

CougaDan70
Registered Member

Post by CougaDan70 » 27 Nov 2015, 19:24

Well I was considering going with LED tail lights in a future small project... I guess I will keep on reading this thread before doing so.
BTW I just purchased the dash cluster LEds... I hope it goes better than with the 1157's.
1970 Vert 351W / FMX with PB & PS, that's all there is but man am I happy!
Dan, Montreal Qc.

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 28 Nov 2015, 09:35

69XRRR7 wrote:I put in the plasma LED tail lights (6), the plasma LED backup lights, and plasma LEDs in the front turn signals. Got the newer LED version of the sequencer board in the trunk, and 2 of the LED flasher can replacements.
First after installing all that, I had no emergency flashers and no brake lights. Turn signals and sequencials work great.
If I put the regular emergency flasher can back in I get emergency flashers, all turn signals work right, but still no brake lights.
I swapped the LED flashers, and all with the same results as above.
If I change everything back to original, I get brake lights. What is the issue here? any ideas?
I have no idea what the problem you are having is. I did thes but only changed the turn signal flasher to the LED unit and all works well. Keep us updated.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -