In case you haven't heard..Don Rush's Bring-A-Trailer Cat.

Free Cougar Classifieds! You need to provide three things to list your car here: Price, location, and contact information. It's okay to ask for best offers, but all ads must include an asking price.
BAust
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

In case you haven't heard..Don Rush's Bring-A-Trailer Cat.

Post by BAust » 10 May 2018, 09:46

This is Don's first time on Bring A Trailer. If you're not a member..be forwarned, it's an addictive site! A ton of interesting cars sold every day, and they actually SELL here, generally. They keep reserves really reasonable and have about an 85% sales rate.

Great action, usually very good commentary and interaction with the buyers and sellers..And I've found that there is an expert or two on just about every type of car sold here. It can be very educational. Sometimes the discussion gets drowned out by a bunch of chirping and nonsense, but it's generally all fun. The folks at Bring A Trailer are really on to something and they've got a smash hit on their hands. What makes it unique is the fact that bidders have to register a credit card and have their 5% fee taken out temporarily upon bidding for the first time. There is rarely such a thing as a buyer backing out. Because BAT keeps the buyers fee. There is a 100.00 listing fee. You submit photos and documentation and description for them and they put it up on the site and do the "talking" for you for the listing itself. Then you can interact on their forum. As the (always exactly) 7 days winds down and the auction nears end, there is a 2 minute clock counting down. Once a bid is submitted within the last 2 minutes-the clock resets to another 2 minutes..some of the auctions can really get wild at the end! Lots of fun to watch. Somewhat nervewracking to be a buyer, let me tell ya ;)

But it's a site that has brought big money for some of their traditional cars. Originally they were a site that just pointed out cool project cars, mostly German ones and Euro-hobby cars. But it morphed into their own auction site and is slowly but surely becoming a real Classic American and American Muscle site now too..They get top dollar for Italian, Japanese, Ford GTs, Ferraris, Porsches..cars of all kinds. And a very large worldwide audience. American Cars have gone to Chili, Europe, Asia.. All over the world. There are a ton of buyers with deep pockets and knowledge. but also I see a lot of buyers suddenly just deciding to "try out" a car that they'd never even considered before, and pay some pretty amazing money.

There have been a couple Cougars on the site do very well. I've bought a Model T and a BMW myself on the site and been very happy. As far as I'm concerned, it is the next wave of methods to sell a car.

Don's excellent presentation, coupled with Andrew's photography/videography skills, are sure to make this auction interesting too:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968- ... gar-xr7-6/
Brian Aust

1967 XR-7 GT 4 Speed

1968 GT-E XR7

TomKat
Registered Member

Re: In case you haven't heard..Don Rush's Bring-A-Trailer Cat.

Post by TomKat » 11 May 2018, 15:33

True words, someone mentioned the site awhile ago and I check it daily. Ive only followed 2 cars, both 1965 Buick Riviera's and both out of my price range.
Nice ad on the cougar too

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 14 May 2018, 10:26

I have really enjoyed the selling process thus far, lets hope for a strong rally in the bidding at the end, as it sits now I would lose a months wages if it gets no more bids! The ongoing chat is fun, I think it does a good job of engaging prospective buyers. I need to bite my lip and resist being the "know it all Cougar guy" and feeling the need to correct everyone! BaT rookie here for sure!

BAust
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BAust » 14 May 2018, 10:31

Don't bite your lip, Don..set 'em straight! Or I'll do it. But I'm already enough of a loud mouth on there haha..
Brian Aust

1967 XR-7 GT 4 Speed

1968 GT-E XR7

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 14 May 2018, 10:46

Its just hard to be quiet when someone shows a pre-production sales brochure showing a 427 available for a Torino in 1968 and not make a correction.

May 9 at 11:16 AM
tonyola 1,625
@DonRush
The Ford Mustang and Ford/Mercury intermediates had the 427 as an option for the first half of the 1968 model year.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/index.ph ... airlane-18

1 Flag as not constructive

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 14 May 2018, 17:33

Sold at $30,250! Impressive! It was fun to watch all the bids and comments come in in the final few minutes.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine

68 XR7G Wannabe
Registered Member

Post by 68 XR7G Wannabe » 14 May 2018, 17:35

Don, Congrats on the sale. Over 30k. Nice. It was good for all of us that you ventured into BaT.
I'd say that your reputation as a straight-shooter -- even if a self-proclaimed "one trick pony"--played very well at BaT. The sales price is comprised of two-thirds hard asset and one-third Don Rush!
Mark —CCOA Finance Director
Now -- 68 XR7 (G Wannabe) Black Cherry, 6.5 liter, valance exhaust, scoop
Then -- 67 Standard 289, Cardinal Rustoleum, fenders flapped in the salty 1973 Rochester wind

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 14 May 2018, 17:38

Thank you! I wanted to dip my toe in the pool with a 2V before I go no reserve with a 6 figure car.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 15 May 2018, 16:29

It was great reading along! I think the BAT crowd is one that can really appreciate Don's selling style. Great sale, great comments. Can't wait to see the 6-figure car listing :-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

BAust
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BAust » 17 May 2018, 15:41

Don,

I was all amped up after your sale and actually ended up stopping by Jason at Denwerks' place on the way home to get those Model T books..Haha I ended up being there for a couple hours..great time. Congrats and great job on the auction! I agree, this is all good for the Cougar hobby (unless you're one of those holdouts begging for the market to stay low still ;)) When does the Big Block go up!??
Brian Aust

1967 XR-7 GT 4 Speed

1968 GT-E XR7