The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

Free Cougar Classifieds! You need to provide three things to list your car here: Price, location, and contact information. It's okay to ask for best offers, but all ads must include an asking price.
User avatar
Don Rush
Registered Member
Posts: 2517
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 20:43
Location: Brooks Oregon
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#21

Post by Don Rush » 09 Apr 2018, 12:04

Actually... Not all export GTE's got smog. A member here from Sweden shared his Marti report with me just the other day that spelled out shoulder harness delete and smog delete.

User avatar
R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 998
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 10:26
Location: Boston Burbs

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#22

Post by R Code » 09 Apr 2018, 12:29

So it's a rebody, without the engine, what's left?
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

0F94M
Registered Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 07 Nov 2016, 08:07
Location: St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#23

Post by 0F94M » 09 Apr 2018, 14:03

What's left? Headache for the next owner... I'm surprised an auction house would accept a car with essentially 2 vin numbers. The best legal solution for this car would be a state issued vin... the worst would be felony charges for the seller for altering the vin number and consfication/destruction of the car. Something tells me mecum will reject this one when it arrives at their sale.

User avatar
CatVert68
Registered Member
Posts: 1250
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 20:09
Location: Central MA
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#24

Post by CatVert68 » 09 Apr 2018, 16:24

Just out of curiosity, if I took a body shell from a GT-E and placed it next to the body shell from a GT of the same trim level (XR-7 or base) and covered the VIN numbers wherever they appear, could anyone here tell one from the other?

Except for issues of disclosure, I've never quite gotten why rebodies are so frowned upon and devalued in a way that would not be applied to the same car that had most of it's structure rebuilt around the stamped parts. What's the functional difference that makes one better than the other? The argument seems more emotional than logical to me; hence the question.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

User avatar
Don Rush
Registered Member
Posts: 2517
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 20:43
Location: Brooks Oregon
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#25

Post by Don Rush » 09 Apr 2018, 16:30

When one really digs into it you will usually find date codes are different, maybe the car was originally manual drum and not factory punched for a booster or the car was made at San Jose vs. Dearborn and details will differ. A rebody is a memory of a car not THEE car.

BurgundyXR7
Registered Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 20:14

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#26

Post by BurgundyXR7 » 09 Apr 2018, 22:20

I contacted Mecum regarding this car. They are being led to believe this is an authentic GTE. They have received this Marti report (attached) and believe it is valid to this vehicle. They told me it will be auctioned as a true GTE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mo2872
Registered Member
Posts: 3211
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 18:59
Location: Collinsville, Ok
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#27

Post by mo2872 » 10 Apr 2018, 07:32

CatVert68 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:24
Just out of curiosity, if I took a body shell from a GT-E and placed it next to the body shell from a GT of the same trim level (XR-7 or base) and covered the VIN numbers wherever they appear, could anyone here tell one from the other?
Would not the GT-E have holes drilled for the body side molding that a GT would be lacking??
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

User avatar
R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 998
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 10:26
Location: Boston Burbs

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#28

Post by R Code » 10 Apr 2018, 08:01

BurgundyXR7 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 22:20
I contacted Mecum regarding this car. They are being led to believe this is an authentic GTE. They have received this Marti report (attached) and believe it is valid to this vehicle. They told me it will be auctioned as a true GTE.
I guess if you're Mecum you can't put yourself in the position of verifying all seller-provided data. You just have to trust the disclaimers the lawyers crafted & let it fly.
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

User avatar
CatVert68
Registered Member
Posts: 1250
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 20:09
Location: Central MA
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#29

Post by CatVert68 » 10 Apr 2018, 08:13

mo2872 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 07:32
CatVert68 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:24
Just out of curiosity, if I took a body shell from a GT-E and placed it next to the body shell from a GT of the same trim level (XR-7 or base) and covered the VIN numbers wherever they appear, could anyone here tell one from the other?
Would not the GT-E have holes drilled for the body side molding that a GT would be lacking??
That's a cosmetic difference, not a functional one. My point is that there is nothing magical or functionally different about one 1968 Cougar body shell versus another so I've never understood the fealty to the original shell when most of it's been replaced versus, say, a pristine original body shell from a GT. Even a small-block body shell isn't really different at the unibody level. Things like shock tower reinforcements are added to the same basic body shell, as far as I know.
Last edited by CatVert68 on 10 Apr 2018, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

User avatar
CatVert68
Registered Member
Posts: 1250
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 20:09
Location: Central MA
Contact:

Re: The Mustangs Unlimited GTE is back for Sale

#30

Post by CatVert68 » 10 Apr 2018, 08:19

Don Rush wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:30
When one really digs into it you will usually find date codes are different, maybe the car was originally manual drum and not factory punched for a booster or the car was made at San Jose vs. Dearborn and details will differ. A rebody is a memory of a car not THEE car.
I get that, Don, and I agree that it matters for a concours show car.

But those things are usually important because of the degree of value difference assigned to originality. But the concept of originality is really stretched if most of the body shell has been replaced for rust repair or other damage. That damaged and repaired car will be valued much higher than an identical car that got a pristine rebody and that doesn't make much sense to me, logically.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

Post Reply